Oldham Parish Church
Sunday, March 15th 2009
This service commemorated the earliest origin of Oldham Choral Society which was founded as “The Werneth Gentlemen’s Vocal Society” in March 1884. The service was very well attended, with many previous members and supporters and guests including the Mayor and Mayoress of Oldham. The singing was ably accompanied by the Oldham (Lees) Band and our accompanist Angela Lloyd-Mostyn. With all these performers, the ladies of the choir had to sit in the front pews and move out to the front of the church for the choral items.
An excellent address was given by the Archdeacon of Rochdale, Ven. Cherry Vann, who was educated at the Royal School of Music. Many former members of the society, now deceased, were remembered in prayers.